I have another craft bazaar coming up so I am in crafting mode!
My latest- Big Boy Snowman (or woman). This craft takes about 15 minutes for each one.
- Package of tube socks ($7 for 10 pairs)
- Rice ($10 for 20 lb. bag)
- Ribbon (spools $1 for 9 feet or so)
- Googly eyes ($4 for 300+)
- Hot glue gun
- Pipe Cleaners
- Various embellishments- sequins, buttons, etc.
Pour 3 cups of rice in foot of tube sock. Secure with a rubber band.
Now add 2 cups of rice into next section. Secure with rubber band.
Fold top of sock over on itself to make stocking cap.
Use glue gun to stabilize top “ball” to bottom one.
Glue a ribbon around neck for scarf. Cut another section of same ribbon and glue down from it for a hanging scarf. Embellish as desired!
I made a bow for the hat, glued jingle bells to top and buttons down the front.
I didn’t put arm branches on but I don’t think it needs them. They are cute without!
One down- 19 to go 🙂
Yesterday I spent at least 2 hours scouring Pinterest and my FB feeds for an easy ornament to make.
I found it!
Material list (I got everything at Wally’s):
- package of baby ankle socks ($4 for a pack of 10 pairs, will make 20 ornaments)
- googly eyes ($4.50 for hundreds, various sizes)
- brown pipe cleaners ( less than $1 for pack of 25)
- holiday fabric ribbon (I used 5/8″ wide, was less than $1 for 3 yards)
- small square of orange felt for nose, perhaps an orange button might work, too
- colored poms (less than $1 for a pack of many)
- cotton filling (less than $4 for big pack)
- hot glue gun and sticks of glue
Here we go!
Take a sock and fill 2/3 full with cotton filling. Use rubberband at neck section and again at top of head section.
Fold down top of sock in a stocking cap style.
Glue 2 googly eyes on face.
Take a small segment of ribbon (4-5″), fold it over on itself and glue at bottom. This will be the hanging loop for tree.
Hot glue this loop to top of hat. I then used a pom in front of that.
I cut a brown pipe cleaner into arms, and added branches for fingers. I glued them to side of snowman. And then added a red holiday scarf around his neck and sequin buttons down his belly. I added a small sliver of the orange felt for his carrot nose 🙂
It took me around 15 minutes to do this from beginning to end and he is so stinking cute! He would make a great package topper too.
Would love to see other examples if anyone else is getting into the holiday spirit!
Edit: The finished products! I made 20 ornaments in 6 hours.